tab-ity tabs

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Craft Hope::Project 11::Konbit Sante

Craft Hope is a fantastic project that helps make the world a better "home-ier" place. Every project is about homemade items, baby blankets, hats, dolls, pillowcases, all kinds of stuff! :)
This project was to make Birthing kits to send to Haiti. I have a special little place in my heart for things like this, that helps soon to be moms. I love that I can help to make their birthing experience a little better than it would have been without these extra supplies! 
 
So when I found out this new project I immediately sent my former birthing instructor a message asking if Well Rounded Momma could help me collect donations to get these kits made! She said yes and from there we sent out a news letter! The AMAZING clients, doulas, midwives, lactation consultants, and many more donated every single thing we needed!

The list of things we needed were:

1 small bar of soap
1 piece of clean plastic sheeting (3 feet wide by 4 feet long)
1 piece of clean string, 24 inches long
1 packet alcohol wipe
1 set of sterile latex gloves
1 packet (or travel container) Purelle
1 handmade tote bag

Optional:
receiving blanket–36 inches square
small “stuffy” toy

Someone donated cord clamps for the babies instead of string, can you say amazing?? we also had lubricants, nipple cream, and other random things donated to make the birthing and postpartum process a bit easier.

In all we made 78 birthing kits, 35 of which were in tote bags!!!! Seriously?!?! How awesome is that?! I was speechless by all of the generosity and truly in awh. Not only did we get all the supplies we needed to make those kits, but we had extra, AND received $185 in cash donations!!! I used $150 of that money to actually ship the boxes! (Outrageous price) and the rest bought the Purelle and bars of soap that we still needed to add to the rest of the kits.


These are all of the kits. In the box are kits that didn't have totes. I tried to sew as many totes as I could with all of the material donated but fell extremely ill after making these kits. So the rest didnt get made :(




left over supplies that were also sent!
 In the end, I had 3 large boxes filled to send to Maine, to then be sent to Haiti. I am so amazed by everyones' generosity. Thank you so much for all who helped me to accomplish this goal!!
Thank you to Naomi and Stacey for helping me assemble the kits!!

2 comments:

  1. You have such a good heart Anna! That is an amazing gift to send to all the women in need. I'm sorry you got so sick & I hope your feeling better!
    <3 Bon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Anna! I see my bag that I made in the corner! Wish I could of made more. I would love to help out again. Let me know if you do another project.

    ReplyDelete